Monday, November 23, 2009

just read the ST forum today and i felt pissed. here's why.

Don't let language drag down the best

I AM continually impressed by the ability of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew to reflect on his policy shortcomings and change for the better ('MM Lee wants learning of Chinese to be fun', last Wednesday).

I agree that learning a language is an aptitude. Unlike science-based subjects, the study of language cannot be shoved down one's throat.

I have a daughter who has just completed primary school. The top award in her class went to a pupil who got an exemption from studying Chinese. She was not the best in class in any of the three subjects, but because of her exemption, her aggregate was the best.

About two years ago, when we found our daughter was a borderline pupil in Chinese, my wife and I were concerned that a poor score in the language would pull her aggregate results down for the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE). We were told we could take her to a child psychologist and get a note stating her inaptitude in the language so she could be exempted, come PSLE time.

We did not take the option, but I know of several parents who did.

I fully support the new approach of MM Lee that the learning of Chinese should be predicated on piquing the interest of the learner.

While it cannot and should not be an elective subject, future PSLE scores should de-emphasise language and concentrate on other assessment criteria.

I have known so many bright students who had to leave Singapore to further their education because of their lack of proficiency in Chinese.

I am glad the issue is being addressed now. Late as it may be, it is better late than never.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sons' struggle

'MM Lee has confirmed what my motherly instincts told me 20 years ago.'

MRS GOH SU SAN: 'I salute Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. It takes a great man to admit his mistake. MM Lee has confirmed what my motherly instincts told me 20 years ago - that my two sons' vain struggle with Chinese language was not due to lack of intelligence, but a lack of acumen in a language foreign to them that was pitched at too high a level. This led my husband and I to tear ourselves away from home and loved ones to resettle in a foreign land to give our sons a chance to realise their full potential. The disproportionate amount of time they spent on Chinese left them little time for important subjects like mathematics, resulting in average grades that demoralised them. Our decision paid off. Both my sons are now professionals in their chosen fields.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an exam tml and the day after but i felt compelled to write nevertheless.

As I always said, it's fine if a Chinese is not good in Chinese, everyone has their own flaws and weaknesses.

But

I seriously despise Chinese who despise the language.

Especially when it's due to their inability to score it as a subject.

Perhaps you're thinking this angsty writer here who seems so passionate abt this issue is a freaking cheena kia, well, i am. And I'm proud to say that I'm from a Chinese speaking family.

I won't say I've got great command in English. I used to struggle with it particularly when I was in primary school, but I still manage to get an A for English and A* for all other subjects.

And I nv blame English for pulling my aggregate down. Because I accept the fact that it IS the foreign language and I know that I've to work hard to improve my standards.

Chinese, for your info, is NOT A FOREIGN LANGUAGE FOR CHINESE.

*huff puff huff*

I wonder how ppl can make such a statement. Oh. My. Gawd.

Taking a child to a psychologist JUST so that he/she can be exempted from Chinese to have a higher aggregate score?

If so, can we pon life? It's hard, you know. Maybe I shld get a pscyhologist to help.

gandangs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGemD5tksU

kudos to tanwen for this vid. dude u shld totally take media presentation man. hahaha.

and i can totally see the passion man. kudos to that, too =)

dob: 11-02-1988
The Negative @
www.evermissing.blogspot.com
city: singapore