Wednesday, March 05, 2008
隐恶扬善

I've never heard of this cheng2 yu3 until my dad mentioned a few days ago.

He was talking about the hoo-ha over Edison Chen issue... And he said that in the past, there were more positive news on celebrities than negative news. But nowadays, it's the vice versa. And he said that the media shld 隐恶扬善, which means to hide the ugly side of issues and focus on magnifying the pretty side.

But I don't agree with that.

I see more eye to eye with facts. And the ugly side shldn't be hidden as people can learn more from mistakes. I like what one of the professors said before (yes surprisingly enough I was listening): The wrong ideas should be thrashed out so that people can have meaningful discussions over it and somehow reach a satisfying conclusion or even solution. Hence to me, 隐恶扬善 has a rather traditional and conservative connotation which I don't really agree with. I believe more in freedom.
dob: 11-02-1988
The Negative @
www.evermissing.blogspot.com
city: singapore